Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent to certain of the identified purposes at any time by contacting our privacy officer.Withdrawal or refusal of consent may result in an inability of the firm to provide you with continued service.
Collection of Personal Information
“Personal Information” is defined under Canadian law as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified.Personal information in this policy means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. It does not include business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number,facsimile number, or e-mail address.
Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation may collect personal information including:
- name, home address, telephone number;
- personal e-mail address;
- billing/account information;
- credit card information; and
- information related to legal or other service issues including:
- employee (and family) information;
- agent and officer information;
- witness information;
- adverse party/parties-in-interest/intervener information;
- adjudicator information;
- expert and other professional advisor information; and
- our clients’ business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers who are individuals.
Use/Disclosure of Personal Information
Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation normally collects, uses and discloses personal information about our clients and service providers in order to provide clients with professional legal services. This may include the following purposes:
- establishment and maintenance of our commercial relationships;
- provision of legal advice;
- acting as counsel in litigation, negotiations and related legal services; and
- fulfilling lawyers/firms legal obligations (including the avoidance of conflicts of interest).
To achieve these purposes, personal information may need to be shared between Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation and authorized third parties (including opposing or interested parties, intervenors,opposing/other counsel, agents/advisors, witnesses, and adjudicators) for the purpose of:
- providing legal services;
- initiating the commercial/contractual relationship with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing;
- to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- administering commercial relationships with clients, service providers and other third parties, including invoicing, account administration, payment collection and processing, and fulfilling contractual obligations;
- to assess and respond to client, supplier and other third party needs and preferences,including to contact and communicate with such parties and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or distribute Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation products and services and those of our authorized services providers;
- to distribute our client and legal newsletters, conference information and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, either directly or through third-party distribution service providers;
- to produce and maintain our knowledge-management precedent systems and databases;
- to develop and manage Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation business and operations;
- to detect and protect Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving Hicks &Hicks Professional Corporation;
- as authorized/required by or under the law; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
Disclosure of Personal Information
From time to time, Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation may disclose your personal information to:
- service providers, including an organization or individual retained by Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation to evaluate you creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with assignment of aright to receive payment; the provision of security or other financing arrangements; or a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation, is providing or seeking the information as your agent; and
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Access to Personal Information
Upon you written request, subject to certain exceptions, Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to the firm’s Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation uses physical, electronic, administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your personal information. The firm maintains secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
In addition, where personal information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all personal information is kept secure.
Cookies are small data files containing a unique identification number that identifies that visitor’s browser,but not necessarily the visitor, to our computers each time our website is visited.
Some internet browsers can be reset to either reject cookies or to notify the user they have received a cookie. In some instances, refusing a cookie may not permit our website to provide its full range of services.
Occasionally, we may send marketing or promotional e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about the services of Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional e-mails from Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation.
We welcome your input and questions. For information on Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation’s privacy practices, please contact the Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation Privacy Officer at:
Attention: Firm Privacy Officer
Hicks & Hicks Professional Corporation
554 Tenth Avenue
Hanover ON N4N 2P4
- Where is the best place to store your Will?
In my estimation, it takes approximately 6 hours o…
- When is it the right time to sell your small business?
Since everyone knows “you can’t take it with you”,…
- Local Real Estate Market Strong in Grey/Bruce
According to the Canadian Real Estate Association…
- Where is the best place to store your Will?